Pages

This journey is incredibly humbling for me.

From being wounded and not knowing which way is up and wondering whether or not i could be ALIVE or not and at the same time, finding new MEANING in my new life in this FOREIGN place.....It's been an AMAZING journey

I am a daughter, sister, dog-owner and friend.

Currently, i am learning to train my mind and body. I want to hold my body, challenge my physical ability to a level i could never imagine.

I definitely have learn to stop letting these people who do so little for me in my life but control so much of my mind, feeling and emotions.

Learning to let them go from my life is definitely one of the best achievement i ever done to myself.

Goodbye my friends.... Hope when we meet again, we are once strangers again.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

I'm a Physiotherapist but am I the evidence-based practice physiotherapist??????

As a physiotherapy trainee and a person who had knee injury due to sport, I believe healing is not about seeing the best doctor or has the best medicine. During my initial injury, I received acupuncture treatment and herbal treatment.

But, I learn that herbal treatment is not suitable for acute stage in soft tissue injury. My lecturer explained that Chinese herbs are not a suitable treatment because it induces heat into the tissues and cause accumulation of fluids, thus edema occurs. But, I was not satisfied with her answer as I, myself, who had injury and herbs treatment worked for me. Thus, I went to ask my acupuncturist. He said the herbal treatment won’t work without the acupuncture because the acupuncture allowed the blocked chi to flow and the herbal treatment allowed the Chi to flow faster. And I was thinking heat is not suitable in physiotherapy as it accelerates the fluids movement but it didn’t create a path for the fluid to flow, that’s why edema occurs if heat is given for acute injury. Finally, my knee healed without any aggressive invasion of modern medicine and there is no edema but the knee is unstable and I had to stop my Tae Kwan Do. My heart crashed and my life completely changed.

Well, in my opinion the rate of healing of the wound in my heart and spirit is much slower than the one in my knee. Therefore, even though my knee healed but I still felt as though I am not healing yet. Why is this happening? Why am I feeling this way? Then, I realized that healing is not about encourage healing in the flesh but also in the heart. When a person is injured, it not only affected the person physically but also emotionally and mentally. Therefore a holistic approach of rehabilitation is appropriate in healing a person. A wound may heal completely, but can a heart heal completely as well?

Therefore, natural process comes in. Firstly, there will be inflammation stage, where I feel pain, sadness, angry at myself and refuse to calm and rationalize with yourself about your injury and refused to accept my injury. Then, follow with granulation stage where, friends and family will give advices and unconditional support to me. They make sure that my emotion is laid properly and my mind won’t go hay-wired. Layer by layer of love and care, finally, my wound is ready to heal completely and my emotion is stable and mental is strong.

Lastly, in the remodeling stage, this is the important stage because any improper healing can cause a scar which can cause more problems. In this stage, I rationalize with myself and remodel my thinking and perceptions, how I should accept my injury and make the best of it. And I slowly build up my confidence and learn how to prevent future injury and learn to take care of myself. This is the natural healing which I think is the best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment